Skip to main content

What Are You Going To Do About It?

Something weird happened to me today:
I responded to a friend's fb post and almost all of the next 8 lengthy comments pushed back against mine.

That wasn't the weird part, believe it or not.
The weird part was that, in my opinion, they seemed to be disagreeing with the Bible and what Jesus commanded us to do. This wouldn't have been weird either...
except that they were Christians.




So here's the post I responded to:
"The most biblical church is the one in which the cross is the only stumbling block for the unchurched."

My excited response:




Jesus asked us to do a couple of things:
"'You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself." and to make disciples (which is just teaching someone to do what you do).

Then we were warned: But don't just listen to God's word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.


So when I proposed we do something that God asked us to do anyway, to LOVE, I really didn't expect anyone to disagree with me.

I know. Crazy, right?

These people seem really smart, but they said things like, "hypothetical", "formulas and theories", "it's easy to say in general terms", "there are a lot of issues that need to be addressed", "we can't think we have it figured out", and my favorite, "what does it mean to have an agenda of love?"

Really?

This isn't hypothetical stuff. We're talking about what God told us to do. Yes, DO.

And now, a word from Francis Chan... make that 2 words, since I couldn't decide which video to use:

http://vimeo.com/34000431






I'll be the first to say that I do NOT I have it all figured out... My husband would be the second to say that... Then my kids...

But if Jesus says to love, then why not love? 
The first step... is to take a first step. Like anything that you want to get good at, it takes consistent practice... and failure. If you're not failing, you're probably not growing.


Don't make the mistake these friendly facebookers made. Don't get hung up on what we may face down the road. Let tomorrow take care of itself because, chances are that God will change your direction along the way anyway.

Just DO something. 
And then teach someone else to do it, too.
If loving God is keeping His commands, then do one thing today that loves someone.
THAT is God's Kingdom breaking in, one step at a time.

What is keeping you from loving?



"What does it mean to have an agenda of love?" Expecting nothing in return. 
Here are a few ideas:
12 Gifts of Christmas
30 Simple Ways To Be Missional In Your Workplace
Pay It Forward


Apparently, it's all about Francis Chan today: