Skip to main content

Sticks and Stones

What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of someone who:


  • is pro-life?
  • is pro-choice?
  • opposes same-sex marriage?
  • is anxiously awaiting to marry their same-sex partner?
  • does not believe that women should pastor a church?
  • believes that anything less than complete equality with men in all areas is injustice?
  • eats at McDonald's on a regular basis?
  • only buys organic, has their own garden, and raises chickens?
  • thinks that breastfeeding should be kept private?
  • posts naked yoga breastfeeding photos on facebook?

Do you have any preconceived notions about what someone who stands for one of these things might be like?

What if we went crazy and, instead of judging them and assuming their motives, gave them the benefit of the doubt and believed that they're a good person with good intentions, no matter how mistaken we believe them to be?

I'm not offended by a difference of opinion.
However, I am offended by the name-calling going on.


Words hurt.

Just because someone disagrees with me, I do not assume that they are ignorant, insane, bigots, lack intelligent, or have some phobia.

I assume they have very good reasons to believe what they believe, just as I have very good reasons why I believe what I believe.
I do not enjoy being disrespected simply because of a difference of opinion.
I value clarity over agreement.

So I implore my facebook friends, both left-leaning and right-leaning, Christian and otherwise:
Please be respectful when posting about politics and social issues.
I love you and enjoy your beautiful minds.
So let's keep it clean and above the belt, folks.

A special note to Christians:
Folks are watching you and your fb posts & tweets.
Whether they're political or not, how are you doing at representing Christ to a hurting world with what you're about to post?