Skip to main content

To My Gay Friends & Chick-Fil-A-Loving Christians

First, to my gay friends, I am deeply sorry.
You've probably seen the same disgusting Facebook posts I have the last few days.
No doubt, you're even more hurt and angered by them than I am. 
All those self-righteous posts have probably just reaffirmed your belief that Christians and anyone else who oppose marriage equality hate you and want to tear your family apart.
But they are NOT representing the Christ that I know who loves you so much that He died for you.

On "Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day", I posted this on Facebook: 
I'm kinda somewhere in the middle with the whole Chick-Fil-A controversy - I believe in liberty, free speech, and voting with your feet. I love that we have the freedom to choose whether we do business with Chick-Fil-A or Amazon, who's founder is now the largest public financial backer of gay rights in the country. We have the freedom to support pro-life Curves or pro-choice Staples. Yay for liberty and capitalist superiority.

And now a confession: 
I "liked" Facebook updates about people making a trip to Chick-Fil-A.
I saw the whole thing only as an issue of "Liberty".
I was naive. 
I've changed my mind. 
And I'm pretty pissed off.

(By the way, I'm a homeschool mom and you used the possessive form of "you" (your) rather than the contraction "you're" for "you are".)

The last few days, I've read Facebook posts and articles expressing hate and intolerance. 
I've seen photos and YouTube videos of bullies and cowards expressing hate. 
But from BOTH sides.

This is not a "Marriage Equality" issue, as many believe.
This is not a "Freedom Of Speech" issue, as I originally thought.
It's become a "Love" issue to me. 

To my fellow Christians, WE have drawn a line in the sand and created an "Us vs. Them" mentality. 
If you assert that "they started it", I don't think God cares. 
I think He wants us to take responsibility and repent of the part that we played.
We don't have the luxury of shoving our favorite 'marriage' verses down people's throats and ignoring the 'love' verses when they're inconvenient.
Are you seeing the faces, the families that are the subject of your oh-so-clever Chick-Fil-A Bible posts? 
Are they feeling the love of Christ through you? 
Are they witnessing God's grace in your life?
I assure you, whatever you intended, your self-righteousness translates into hate for them.
And THAT is not the Gospel message I accepted - The Good News that Christ died for all our sins out of his love for every sinner.

Romans 12:9



Dan Cathy told radio host Ken Coleman: "I think we are inviting God's judgement on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.'"

I don't know about that, but I sure wonder if we're inviting God's judgement on ourselves when we shake our fist at God and say, "We know better than you as to what constitutes Love Thy Neighbor." 
(Ya know, the second greatest commandment?)



To some of my favorite liberals, please don't assume that everyone who opposes same-sex marriage is homophobic. 
I empathize and understand this is very personal for you, but as much as it hurts, it's probably not personal to them. 
They might just have an ignorant, narrow view of marriage right now and they're not going to change their minds by having hate thrown at them and having Type 2 Diabetes wished upon them. 
And by the way, stop bullying fat people. Gay people like fried chicken, too.