Saturday, June 15, 2013

God gave me an awesome body and I look smokin'!

WE'VE MOVED!
Please visit us at our new home:



It's summer. 
Have you attempted to shop for a swimsuit that covers up the way it's supposed to?? 
I'm a little pissy about the "one piece" swimsuits now having huge chunks cut out of the waist! 


First of all, trying to get dressed in a mu-mu is hard enough with so many children underfoot, so I'd be genuinely frightened of putting an appendage through a hole that it wasn't meant to go through and exiting the dressing room just in time for a wardrobe malfunction.

Second, I've had three kids! This mama has rolls to be covering up! Who's idea was it to put all these strange holes in odd places? 

Practicality issues aside, I'm very uncomfortable with my very tall pre-teen daughter wearing clothes that are meant to be provocative. I'm guessing I probably won't be any more comfortable with my 18 year old or 25 year old daughter wearing scandalous clothes either, but by then I won't really have any say in the matter.

Instead of forcing my pre-teen to wear what I think she should wear, my wise friend Michelle suggested I talk to my daughter about her body and about modesty. 

Admittedly, this was a new idea for me and it took some practice.
But it's been worth it.

I'm a mom of three girls. 

My goal isn't to make sure my kids are covered head to toe with as little skin showing as possible. 

My goal, by God's grace, is to empower my girls to celebrate and respect their own bodies so that when they are making their own clothing decisions without any input from Mom & Dad, they'll make confident choices that they can be proud of.

My hope for my girls is that they don't look in the dressing room mirror and think, "these shorts make my thighs looks big." 

My hope is for them to try on the shorts and think, "God gave me an awesome body and I look smokin'! ... But maybe I can try on the Bermuda shorts, too." 

Real modesty has nothing to do with feeling like your body needs to be covered up.
Real modesty is about the heart behind clothing choices.
Real modesty is all about not showing off.

I refuse to take a legalistic approach to teaching modesty to our girls, because I don't believe that's what the Lord wants. 
I can't teach them all about grace, about Christ saving us from the punishment we deserve and that there's nothing we can ever do to even try to earn that or repay him....

...And then turn around and make them go over a checklist to determine whether or not they can leave the house in what they're wearing. 

Summer is here, which means conversations will be filled with swimsuit and modesty discussions!
So I have a feeling this won't be the last time you hear from me on this. 
And boy do I have a lot to say!

What do you say? 
What's your take on modesty?
Share your thoughts in the comments below.