Skip to main content

Faith & Narwhals

WE'VE MOVED!
Please visit us at our new home:



Three year old Kaylie wanted to go through the ocean creatures cards today. I read the fun facts off the backs of each card she handed me as she introduced the starfish to the octopus. 

When she handed me the "Narwhal" card to read, I remembered a conversation I'd had with my friend Linda about them. I wanted her to know I was thinking of her, so I posted this photo on Facebook, which received these comments:




"And they are not mythical!"
-Tammy

"No, they're real!"
-Christy

It was only after reading these comments on the photo that I remembered Linda saying that many people don't believe her when she says that they really do exist. 
My other two Facebook friends have obviously run into the same skepticism.

But Kaylie believed me without question.

At her age, even the mundane is magical and new and amazing to her!
... So even when we jaded grownups would consider something magical and new, it's just normal for little Kaylie, since "magical and new" describes everything in her world. 

She gets the miracle of our world. 
And it's perfectly normal to her.

I remember taking the family to Sea World, thanks to the generosity of a new friend, and while the rest of us were in awe at petting dolphins and hugging sea lions... Kaylie was more fascinated by leaves, sticks, and the puddles next to the dolphins. 

I wonder if my toddler believing that God made a whale with a unicorn horn sticking out of its noggin is a glimpse into understanding what Jesus was talking about when He said, 

"I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn't receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it." Mark 10:13-16

If I were miraculously teleported by the Spirit like Philip, I'd be a little freaked out! I'd probably assume I was drugged and kidnapped or something!
But Kaylie would probably think it was the most normal thing in the world and carry on just like Philip did when the Spirit whisked him away.

How beautiful it would be to walk with the Lord in such trust every day.

Have you ever experienced having the faith of a child?