Skip to main content

Meaningless

Everything is meaningless.
Life is empty.
All my work, all my effort, all my knowledge, all my wisdom, the career sacrificed for, the bank account built up, is all worthless in the end.
Even the things that are most important - my husband, my children, the time I spend with them, family, love - It will all just fall away and be forgotten.

No, I'm not depressed or suicidal.

What's the meaning of life, then, if everything is meaningless?
Why am I here?
For a very specific purpose: to glorify God.
Everything else I've been designed to do, to be - spouse, parent, friend - all of those other roles are all for that purpose: to glorify God.

I believe that once we start viewing everything through this grid, through the "this is all for God" mindset, not for ourselves, not for our family, not for our own survival, comfort or joy, we are happiest and most satisfied and we are functioning within the role that God has designed us for.

When the people I love tell me they feel like something is missing in their lives, I want to say to them, "You're right! And you'll always feel that way until all those other things you're chasing after take a backseat and you ask Christ to be Lord of your life."

What keeps me from saying that to them? Fear.
Do I dare to be misunderstood, for Christ's sake?

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."