Skip to main content

Enough?

How much is enough?
In a recent blog post, my husband asked the question, "What is enough?" Money, time, energy, attention, space. His theory is that we'll always want, "just a little bit more."

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." (C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity)

We'll never feel like we have enough of any of those temporal things because that's not what our souls have been created to run on. We're meant to run on Christ alone.

But how much of Christ is enough?

We will never be satisfied!
We will never have enough of Christ!
By His grace, we should always desire more of Him.
We should never feel or say to ourselves, "That's enough of Christ for me. I'll take a break now."
By His grace, we should constantly pursue more Christ with every action, every word, every breath, which are all by His grace.

How much of myself is enough for Christ?
When should I cut Him off?
Hasn't that been enough time?
Hasn't that been enough sacrifice?
Haven't I given up enough of me?
No.
Never.
He's always sanctifying us. Transforming us. Renewing us. Changing us to become more and more like Himself through a series of baby steps throughout our lifetime.
And He deserves our everything.

What if we were warned that you and I were the folks Jesus was talking about in Matthew 7:22-23, "Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’"

What if He never knew us because we never let Him know us?
Because we never gave ourselves over to Him completey?
What if we've told Him, "That's enough, Jesus. You can't have any more of me."

What if that sanctification process is what it will take to be with Him in heaven for eternity?
If you knew that was true, would you ever say, "enough" to Christ?

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."

Wondering how to be saved? Watch this short video by John Piper.