Skip to main content

#7 Testing God

In my last post, I left a certain detail out because I was afraid. I was afraid that Christians would think I was being prideful, boasting in how much faith I have, when even faith is a gift from the Lord. And I was afraid that folks who don't follow Christ would think I was just stupid and careless. But this missing detail is an important piece of what the Lord is doing in my heart. Besides, my life is just a little part in God's story. Who am I to edit God?

So we say with confidence,
   “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
   What can man do to me?” Hebrews 13:6


So, there I was crawling around the floor of the car trying desperately to find change for coffee after having just discovered that we had no money left at all for food or diapers. We had already written a $250 tithe check which we were planning on giving that night at church. No one would know if we simply tore the check up to feed our family. Not even God could fault us for that, right?

But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny.
  Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on. Mark 12:41-44

During my monologue with the Lord, after I stopped scrounging for change, I asked Him to help me trust Him. By His grace, I had faith that even if we handed over that tithe check as an act of love and worship, and out of obedience, that the Lord would provide, just as He always has.

My God unconditionally loves me with such passion that He didn't even spare His own Son just to save me. Jesus died for me, paid with His own blood, so that I could be right with God again. I didn't do anything to earn this gift - it was freely given! What is a measley $250 compared to that kind of love? So we joyfully gave that check to the church that night in response to the grace we've received from the God we get to serve.

Then the Lord blessed us with a $50 gas card, a $200 check and two bags full of groceries. I'll let you figure out the math on that one.

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. Malachi 3:10



#1 - Going West
#2 - In You, O LORD, I have taken refuge
#3 - Take delight in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart
#4 - Let The Journey Begin
#5 - Yahweh-Yireh
#6 - for the love of money... and coffee.
#7 - Testing God
#8 - Billings, MT
#9 - who needs furniture?
#10 - The floodgates of heaven thrown open
#11 - Hardwood Floors, Terrible Neighbors, and God



    

Follow Genevieve West 
for future workshops and events!

To invite Genevieve West to speak at your group or church, please email Genevieve directly at MrsGWest@gmail.com.

Genevieve West is a professional Matchmaker and personal consultant, prolific blogger and speaker, perpetual manuscript attempter, wine-drinking, coffee-chugging, sometimes irreverent, often overwhelmed housewife and homeschool mom of three, redeemed by God's grace.

You can find more of Genevieve's insights and antics at:

Find resources and learn about Genevieve's Matchmaking services:
GenevieveWestMatchmaker.blogspot.com