Skip to main content

Who's watching you?

Kaylie just broke my necklace. 

I didn't even see that she had it in her sticky little hands... and then I heard the sound of dozens of beads hitting the floor all at once & rolling in every single direction.

At that moment, I had a choice to make:

#1 - I could freak out. "What did you do?? How did you get that?? You broke my necklace!! I loved that necklace!! You should have been more careful!! That wasn't yours!! That wasn't a toy!!"

#2 - I could exercise some self control and act like someone that I would be proud for my children to imitate.

Thankfully, I had just read this scripture today,
"Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1
So, by God's grace, I cheerfully hopped up and we made a game of picking up the beads together.

This experience has reminded me that my children are watching everything I do.

Every time I vent to Eric about having a bad day.
Every time I choose to have another cup of coffee with facebook instead of washing the dishes.
Every time I roll my eyes at something Eric does (not that I ever do that).
Every time I lose my patience with the kids.
The girls notice it all.

When Paul wrote the letter to the Corinthians, he wasn't talking to kids.
He was inviting his peers to watch his every move so they could compare it to how Christ would have acted so they could imitate accordingly.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd like someone scrutinizing my every move and comparing it to how Jesus would have acted.
Why?
Because I wouldn't measure up very well.

Who's watching you?